Saturday, 30 October 2010

Hall' On Earth

Why do people blog? Is it to share their thoughts, feelings and experiences with the World? Is it to let readers have their expertise on certain matters? Both worthy reasons for sure. Well, this posting is neither of those. I suppose it does share my feelings but there's nothing constructive in it. It's a rant, and nothing more.


I hate Halloween. Actually, let me rephrase that. I HATE Halloween. I'm sure that once, far ago in the mists of time, it was a legitimate celebration with some deep and meaningful reason behind it. But those days are long gone. So, what is it now?


An excuse for hordes of unsupervised youths to stalk around the neighbourhood annoying the hell out of people by banging on the door, screaming 'RickorReeett' (or something like that), then looking at you put out when you only offer them a solitary Haribo for their 'efforts.'


The little 'uns that go out with their parents and make a bit of a night of it are OK. At least you know that your flying saucers and pink shrimps will be appreciated. As for the rest of them. Well, if any of them can tell me why they 'celebrate' Halloween, when it first started and what it means, then they might deserve their reward. I don't know any of those things, so I don't fancy their chances.


This definition from the excellent Dr. Samuel Johnson feed on Twitter sums it up for me:


'Halloween (n.) antient Festival of the Dead, adulterat'd for American Tastes with more SUGAR & less DIABOLISM'


Mask-makers and pumpkin growers of the world might rejoice on October 31st. I won't be joining them.

No comments:

Post a Comment