So, let's look at the facts. Actually, we can't do that because we don't currently have any - and that's important to remember. So, instead, let's look at the situation:
- Both Darlow and Lascelles will be sold to Newcastle and loaned back for the season. This looks like it's happening now and, even as I type this, it's being reported that they're in the North East for medicals. So, we get some form of payment now but retain the services of both players for the season. Not too bad.
- But the alleged bid for Lascelles is £3m (not sure about Darlow). Admittedly that isn't a huge amount when you look at Callum Chambers going for £16m. However, like it or not, we're a Championship club and Lascelles is still very inexperienced. I'd want more than £3m for sure. The fees will doubtless be undisclosed anyway.
- We don't need the money, we're getting £500m from Kuwait for selling the naming rights to the City Ground! Any sensible Forest fans will realise that - regardless of what the Kuwaiti journalist said - there's not a chance in Hell that Forest will be getting half a billion pounds for renaming the ground as the Kuwait City Ground Stadium. The renaming might happen and we might still get a decent fee for it - but it won't be that much.
- We shouldn't sell our best assets. No, in an ideal world we shouldn't. But in an ideal world, Forest wouldn't have been out of the Premier League for over 15 years.
- Pearce has said we won't sell. Not strictly true. He's said that we'll only sell if the deal is right for the club. If we receive a decent transfer fee for both players, are allowed to loan them back for the season and can spend the money on strengthening areas of the team where we need strengthening - such as midfield and up front - then it's possible this could work out as right for the club.
We have cover at both goalkeeper and centre half. Dorus De Vries and Dimitar Evtimov can do a job in the Championship in goal and, with Jack Hobbs on his way back to fitness, Michael Mancienne, Louis Laing, Roger Riera, Kelvin Wilson (when fit) and, at a push, Danny Collins, Danny Fox and Greg Halford all able to play centre half, we're not short of options. And as both players will remain with Forest for the season we'll have time to arrange replacements if needed.
Let me be clear: I'd much rather that Forest keep hold of two players who look to have all the potential to go on and have decent careers in the game but, if we don't, it's not the end of the world. Ranting, moaning and tweeting the chairman and players won't change anything, so please don't bother. The club is bigger than any one player so wait and see what this means for the club.